Egusi soup is a Nigerian delicacy that every Nigerians have whenever they feel like having a great meal or make it at home.
The soup has two ways to make, either frying or by boiling the ingredients, and they taste equally delicious and healthy to eat.
You will find all sort of proteins that will help you to gain energy and also cuts off all the bad ingredients that your body may have like remove gluten or bloating problems and so on. Here is the ingredients and description list that will help you to cook the perfect Egusi soup.
- Smoked cat fish or any other fish of your choice
- Stock fish
- Bitter leaf
- Frozen spinach
- Seasoning cube
- Red pepper
- Yellow pepper
- Ogiri (local beans)
- Palm oil
1. Start off by seasoning the meat. Add the spices to the meat as in onion and seasoning cube and then add some water will boil the meat and then put the pot on the stove to heat.
2. While the meat is boiling, clean wash your peppers. For better taste, cook red pepper for ten minutes since it gives the pepper a supreme consistency. Also, clean the smoked catfish with warm water and salt.
3. After boiling the red pepper for straight ten minutes, blend them together with the yellow pepper, onion and crayfish. Then add a little water to the broth before blending. After blending the peppers, add ogiri to the peppers and blend them perfectly till the form cream forms.
4. Toss in the blended pepper mixture to the cooking meat and let it boil for a few minutes.
5. Blend the egusi by taking off the seed and blend it. Another way is to blend them with onions and then add a small amount of water to the egusi and blend until it becomes smooth.
After blending them, pour it into a bowl and set it aside until your sauce starts boiling.
6. Add all the ingredients and now go ahead and add bitter leaf and cover the lid of the pot half way and cook it for four minutes on medium heat.
7. Give the dish a good stir, try to taste it to make sure that the salt and seasonings are good to go.
8. Add the frozen or freshly cleaned spinach and allow the water to cook for five minutes and stir continuously.
9. That’s it! Now take the delicious egusi soup off from the heat and serve hot and warm. Try eating it with fufu, the taste is amazing!
There you have it! Nice and fresh Egusi soup in boiling method.