What if your butter runs out and you need to make mac and cheese immediately?
I mean, can you make mac and cheese without butter and enjoy the same creamy, cheesy, and delicious taste?
Oh yes! In fact, there are lots of substitutes out there that you can use in place of butter to make mac and cheese and enjoy the same flavor.
Read on to learn about the commonly available alternatives that you can use to make mac and cheese and a simple yet quick recipe to prepare the food.
Can you make mac and cheese without butter?
Yes, it’s possible to make mac and cheese without butter. Sour cream and olive oil are plenty of substitutes for butter in this recipe and there are plenty of recipes that call for it.
Typically, butter is used to make mac and cheese creamier, more flavorful, and thicker.
So if you don’t use butter, the mac and cheese can become less dense, thinner, and less delicious.
Hence, it’s necessary to use at least the substitute of butter to avoid these consequences, and you can choose based on your taste palette and preference.
Is mac and cheese going to taste bad without butter? Though it’s possible, you can preserve the taste using full-fat milk.
Making base sauce using full-fat milk also makes the recipe creamy and thick as the milk’s fat balances the butter’s fat to some extent.
And it needs to stir the recipe for a longer time.
Mac and Cheese without Butter Recipe
Following the recipe will aid you to make mac and cheese without using butter.
Collect these ingredients:
- 450 g Macaroni
- 3 cups of full-fat milk
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 4 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Procedure to Make Mac and Cheese
- Take a pot of water and mix macaroni with it and cook until firm.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set aside the cooked macaroni in a bowl.
- Place a pan with two cups of milk on low heat and add the flour continuously.
- After mixing the milk and flour, add the remaining milk and stir for up to 5 minutes continuously so it turns into a thick form.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients, like cooked macaroni, salt, pepper, cheese, and chili flakes, to the pan and stir until they combine properly.
- If the recipe becomes too thick, add some milk to get the preferred consistency.
Substitutes for Butter in Mac and Cheese
Following are the alternatives that you can use in place of butter to make mac and cheese:
- Cream Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Sour Cream
- Plain Yogurt
- Heavy Cream
- Greek yogurt
Learning how can you make mac and cheese without butter is a great way to customize the recipe based on the recipe.
So whether your kids don’t like butter, or you don’t have any, those alternatives will allow you to complete the recipe even without sacrificing the texture and taste.
However, the savory won’t be the same.